Partnerships in Care (PiC) became the first healthcare provider to get whole hospital recognition for the RAID® Centre of Excellence Award from the Association of Psychological Therapies (APT) in 2011 when The Spinney and Kemple View received the award.
It recognised the success of our reinforcement of positive behaviour, prevention of challenging behaviour and successful interventions in a secure care setting. Our purpose-built medium and low secure wards and rehabilitation unit give a range of care settings on one site. Patients can chair their own Care Programme Approach meetings and from time of admission are involved in setting their own discharge-orientated goals. Many of our patients are placed with us for a period of stabilisation after which they are able to step down in terms of security level. Kate Bailey, Head of Psychology, PiC North West said: “We take an empowering approach, using our Recovery Model of care towards successful outcomes for our patients and our commissioners.”
Medium, Low and Locked services for men with Personality Disorder and/or Mental Illness
Men with acute mental disorder who specialist support not readily available such as Intensive Assessment and Treatment Service (IATS)
Medium to Low Secure to Locked Rehabilitation
- The Spinney is set in an 11 acre site with extensive woodland and landscaped areas.
- Facilities include a fully equipped gymnasium, education room, art and pottery workshops, health and fitness suite, computer suites and swimming pool
- My Shared Pathway: The Spinney’s patient led MSP project including the ‘No decision about me’ patient recording has been shortlisted for the MSP National Steering Group’s National Service User Achievement Awards in 2013. Project lead, Michelle Parker, has been nominated for two 2013 awards for this work – Nursing Standard Awards and Laing & Buisson Independent Specialist Healthcare Awards.
- Patient art projects: The Spinney won 22 awards for art in the 2012 Koestler Awards
- RAID Centre of Excellence – among the first UK hospitals to win this award
- PiC Greenfingers Competition - The Spinney’s Patient Council ‘s Drop In Centre Garden project which created an attractive seating area with table and parasol won a PiC Greenfingers Award
- Koestler Art Awards 2013 - Patients at The Spinney won four silver, three bronze, two highly commended and seven commended awards
To arrange a Skype or Video Call please contact Stephen Critchley or Ian McGraw on 01942 885300
Mike Bennett, Regional Executive Director North West and Midlands region, is a registered nurse with over 30 years of experience in specialist mental health care with a passion for making a difference to people’s lives.
Aillie Wallace, Registered Manager, The Spinney, is a professionally qualified registered nurse with 19 years post registration experience in the field of challenging behaviours and personality disorder within secure and forensic settings. She was the advisory clinician in the consultation process for the first DSPD pilot group at Whitemoor Prison.