The Dene Hospital is a specialist hospital providing secure services for women with mental illness and/or personality disorder including both medium and low secure care environments. The hospital also has two High Dependency Units one male and one female, and an acute male only service.
Our expertise enables us to support patients with a high level of risk and challenging behaviours including women with high risks of self-harming behaviour and people who may require a period of stabilisation achieved through high dependency care or acute care depending on their diagnosis.
Our clinical programmes focus on:
- Rehabilitation on-site and in the community and include programmes specifically focused on treating offending and challenging behaviours, minimising the risk to self and others
- Building skills to increase independence to promote people stepping down to care in the least restrictive setting appropriate to their health
We also offer substance misuse and addictions treatments.
Treatment programmes are run on a 12 week rotation but with high flexibility so that we can meet the ever changing needs of each of our patients or residents. The multidisciplinary team (MDT) meet with the patients regularly to identify their needs, assess engagement levels and whether a group or 1:1 approach is best in each person's case.
Each patient has a Recovery/Interest Checklist which helps them select from the selection of activities and groups available in a one-to-one session with a member of the occupational therapy team and these play a part in timetable development.
Therapeutic sessions include but are not limited to:
- DBT dialectical behavioural therapy
- CBT cognitive behavioural therapy
- Schema therapy
- Motivational interviewing
- Anger management
- Trauma treatment
- Family therapy and support
- Physical healthcare programme and education
- Creative activity as therapy
- Compassion focused Therapy
- Coping skills group
- Offence related therapy (Arson, sexualised behaviour)
- Relapse prevention
- Problem solving
- Art Psychotherapy
We provide real work opportunities which aim to identify job-specific skills, strengths and experience, develop job-acquisition skills to take on an in-house real work opportunity, give appraisals and reviews and identify roles and employment opportunities outside the hospital setting.
The hospital is spacious, purpose-built and set in attractive grounds in a rural setting but with good links to local amenities and offers clinical therapy, physical exercise, education and meaningful activity for patients and residents.